Search what do you want in this blog!

Custom Search

Sunday, October 3, 2010

What skills must learn to Geek kid?

The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error. For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs. Jan 13 2010

  In a few weeks HacKid will be coming up in Boston at the Microsoft NERD Center.  Flying cross country to attend with my family didn't quite work out ’ t, but it did get me thinking about some of the skills I'd like my ’ two boys to master before they're too old to ’ learn to learn anything from their father or any adult, which I figure is about 15.  I don 't mean ’ the stuff they learn in school, which while valuable skills are not necessarily the link.they ’ re going to need to survive on a daily basis.  I was wondering about the geek skills, both technical and non technical.  Since I recently started playing ’ ve with lock picks, decided that would be one of the first of these skills, but I turned to the wisdom of Twitter to add to the list.Below is a compilation of the list I started and some of the suggestions I got from Twitter.


Here you go: Lock picking (physical security being taught at HacKid) How to social engineer a password from someone Fix a printer (or at least replace the paper/cartridge and pull out jammed.He paper) Martial arts/Self-defense (also being taught at HacKid) Electronics/soldering/circuit boards (I ’ d have to learn more about this one myself) Amateur (Ham) radioFast reading/Critical thinking (.they ’ ve got the first handled, I can keep these kids in beautiful Balcón de Europa books) Conflict managementHow to build a tree to build a home fortHow networkHow to build a computerHow to change a tire (This one will wait until they're a little older ’) How to repair a consumer device, how to fix a motorHow to improvise to build what they need (aka Duct tape foo) Role playing games (so this one will do more harm than good, it's still fun ’) Basic self-reliance (which our society seems to want to train out of us) [ireadit] Basic carpentry and plumbing skills [ireadit] Debate skills [Matt Summers] Rope skills: how to make, how to coil without kinks, how to tie knots [Chris J] Bike maintenance [Robin] Basic navigation, both with and without a compass (my kids have been orienteering since they were in diapers) [Robin] Juggling (fun, but essential?)[Robin]Coin/close up magic, handy for social engineering [Robin] And?

Leave comments and I'll add to the ’ list

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please your comment here!

Search what do you want in this blog!

Custom Search
 

© Networking-Smart